zion

Zion Church – Christ Episcopal Church
N. Washington Ave. and E. College St.

Reverend Thomas Wright and Reverend John Chilton organized Zion Church in 1832. Chilton was the first ordained Episcopal priest in Tennessee. The congregation held services at the Haywood County Courthouse until the church was erected. Construction began in 1854 on the Gothic revival building, but was not fully complete until 1869. A tin ceiling was installed in 1892 and the choir gallery over the door was replaced with the “St. Augustine” window.  The main entrance has the original wood panel door. The windows are original, double hung, 1/1 wood and glass doors. Zion Church, the oldest in Brownsville, was listed on the National Register in 1979.

First United Methodist Church