taylor1

Taylor-King-Gruenewald-Watts House
324 N. Washington Ave.

The Taylor-King-Gruenewald-Watts House was built around 1867 for Dr. E.A. Taylor, a wealthy planter and doctor before and Confederate surgeon during the Civil War.  The Queen Anne architecture with a turret and wraparound porch was partially destroyed by a fire in 1931 while owned by Dr. T. B. King. The reconstructed house we see today is a two-story vernacular Colonial revival framed dwelling. When the Gruenewald family purchased the house in 1969, they removed several dilapidated outbuildings and added a pool and stone patio. Several renovations and additions were made in the 1980s.  The Watts family has continued to restore and upgrade the house.

North Washington Residential Historic District