hotchkiss2

Hotchkiss-Cannon-Smith House
105 E. College St.

The Hotchkiss family was supposedly “Yankee peddlers.”  In other words, they moved to Brownville from somewhere up North.  They brought clocks to sell in West Tennessee when Mrs. Holt Hotchkiss arrived in 1845 with her two sons, Richard and Stephen.  Stephen ended up serving in the Confederate Army and was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh in 1862.  He entered the jewelry business just before the war and was later join by his brother.  The Hotchkiss house was originally a vernacular Georgian style wood frame and clapboard structure with two end brick chimneys.  The interior still has wide planked floors and a central staircase.  The timbers inside the house are so large they reach from the foundation to the roof.  The house has had only four owners.  Additions have been made since the 1840s.

North Washington Residential Historic District