courthouse2

Haywood County Courthouse
1 N. Washington Ave. (Center of Square)

Richard Nixon, a merchant, built the first log cabin courthouse in the middle of the town square in 1824. A year later, fifty lots around the square were sold for a total of $4,000 to support the construction of the second official courthouse. In 1845, the current county courthouse was built using brick. A west wing was added in 1868 to house the Supreme Court for West Tennessee at a cost of $12,000. In 1923, plank sidewalks were laid on the adjacent commercial streets and brick was installed on the square sidewalks around the square.  Crossings at the mid-point on all four sides of the square were added.  Originally, the crossings were made from wooden logs set two-feet apart. In 1928, the courthouse underwent an extensive classical revival renovation costing approximately $40,000.  The last major construction work was performed in 1989.

TAMM Park