french bomer

French-Bomer-Reid House
636 W. College St.

Standing guard over the College Hill complex is this grand, two-story Queen Anne/Folk Victorian home built in 1873 by the French sisters.  Folk Victorian houses in upscale residential neighborhoods were common in rural areas of the country in the late 19th century.  They were relatively unadorned, retaining only the basic elements of tall narrow windows and steep gables.  They lacked the towers, bay windows and elaborate moldings of the traditional Queen Anne style. The first and second floor plans of this home are identical.  The house was originally part of a large farm that stretched to McLemore Street.  John Bomer, a prominent businessman, Brownsville Mayor (1925) and President of the Brownsville Bank, purchased the house in 1898.  Bomer served three terms as Mayor of Brownsville and was responsible for opening the Carnegie Library in 1912.

College Hill Historic District