First United Methodist Church
Jackson Ave. and Franklin St.

In 1832, the First United Methodist Church was the first brick building constructed in Brownsville just 200 yards from the courthouse on West Main Street.  A new church was built in 1848 to accommodate a growing congregation, this time a frame structure.  By 1869, the congregation once again outgrew the building and a second brick structure was built, this time two-stories. Tragedy struck, however, in 1898 when a fire that started at a cotton gin located across the street destroyed the building. The current church is a two-story Gothic Revival style brick structure built a year after the fire.  The stained glass is the work of German immigrants traveling through Brownsville. Numerous additions have been made over the last 100 years.

First Presbyterian Church