presbyterian

First Presbyterian Church
109 W. College St.

Organized in 1829, the First Presbyterian Church originally had just 17 members who congregated in a small building on this site. The structure was replaced in the 1850s with a frame building that is now part of the present sanctuary.  The Presbyterian Church also housed a Female Institute during the period, but was only in operation a few years.  The building was expanded in 1918 and a brick was added to the structure.  An annex was added in 1951 and that too was expanded in 1968.  The four sanctuary stained windows depict The Good Shepard, The Ascended Lord, Christ at Prayer and the Cross and Crown.  In 1920, a tin-roofed Craftsman manse was built at 119 W. College St.  The house was known as “the old hitch yard.”

Churches