Eader-Walker-Skinner House
508 W. Main St.

The Eader-Walker-Skinner House was built around 1865 by Jonathan Eader, a sash and door factory owner, a cotton gin, a grist mill and was one of the founders of the Wesleyan Female College in Brownsville (1870).  Born in Frederick, Maryland in 1829, Eader’s younger brother, Charles, was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863 fighting for the Union. The Greek revival, two-story frame house he built has a portico that stretches the entire length of the front façade.  The style was very common both before and after the Civil War. The interior has rich Victorian treatments and a grand staircase.  The front doors are original.  Eader established a brickyard directly behind the home in 1868 to possibly fulfill orders.  Today, the house serves as Lillie’s Bed and Breakfast.

College Hill Historic District