Brownsville Baptist Church
N. Washington Ave. and College St.

In 1825, the Russell Springs Baptist Church moved to Brownsville and was renamed the First Baptist Church.  Twenty-three years later they moved to this site at the corner of N. Washington and College Street.  The property was given to the church by Thomas Bond, a wealthy planter in Haywood County.  The majority of the congregation was slaves who sat in the church’s upper balcony during the service.  Following the Civil War the black members voted to move the church to the corner of Park Avenue and College Street.  They retained the First Baptist Church name.  The white members began meeting at the courthouse until 1879 before constructing a new building at West Main Street and Wilson Avenue and called themselves the Brownsville Baptist Church.  The First Baptist Church burned in the early 20th century and moved to Jefferson Street in 1921 where they still meet today.

Temple Adas Israel