brockway

Brockway-Thornton-Douglas House
211 East College St

The Brockway-Thornton-Douglas House was built around 1870 for Alonzo Washington Brockway, president of the Brownsville Savings Bank. Brockway was born in Malone, New York in 1824.  His father was a War of 1812 veteran.  After clerking at Ft. Brady in Michigan for a few years he journeyed to California in 1849 as part of the Gold Rush.  He held various banking jobs in the late 1850s into the 1860s, including opening a bank in Shelbyville, Tennessee, in 1867.

Brockway moved to Brownsville in 1869 and established the Brownsville Savings Bank.  Governor William Bate also appointed him as one of three Commissioners to the West Tennessee State Hospital for the Insane.  He died in 1894.  The house is a two-story vernacular Queen Anne framed dwelling. There is stained glass located on the north elevation at the stop of the stairs that was added by the same immigrant workers that built the Methodist Church, of which Brockway was a member.  The second floor burned in 1898 by the same cotton gin fire that destroyed the Methodist church.

Dr. John C. Thornton acquired the house in 1946.  A doctor in the Pacific in World War Two, members of his family lived in the home until 2010.

North Washington Residential Historic District