bond tripp

Bond-Livingston-Tripp House
420 West Main St.

The legacy of Thomas Bond is significant to the history of Haywood County.  He arrived in Brownsville from North Carolina in 1826 and quickly became one of the state’s wealthiest planters, amassing thousands of acres of land and hundreds of slaves.  This Bond house was originally built sometime between 1824 and 1835. The two-story, rectangular, Greek revival-style framed dwelling was built in the College Hill District. Following Bond, the dwelling was purchased by Judge H. J. Livingston.  The Tripp family completed the renovation and additions we see today, including the vinyl siding.  The house is reportedly the oldest in Brownsville.